Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

the "strange" factor!

So it has started Little Miss D has started to make strange. This is a funny time for new parents....I have to confess it does the heart good when your little girl sees you and instantly smiles, her eyes light up...she definitely knows you are her Mom....it is the same for T of course and I am happy to say she is totally enamored with both of her Grandmas....

However....when it comes to anyone else right now....yikes....and some people are worse then others it seems....

It was Thanksgiving here in Canada this past weekend....and of course when you have an occasion such as this family gets together....and everyone wants to have cuddles with the babe...well what do you do when the babe is making it very clear who she is going to be cuddling with!!

Case in point....Mr T's great grandma.....Granny K....well what can we say about Granny K....this is a feisty one....there is no beating around with bush with Granny K....I have to be honest...before I knew her well she scared the crap out of me as well....so who could blame little Miss D when she took one look at K and her little eyes welled up with tears....you know the silent kind....she was trying to process who this was, she couldn't figure out why we would be putting her on this women's lap...this women that in her mind she had never ever seen before....then the wailing started....oh boy....here we go...because you see Granny K doesn't think that there could be any possible reason for this making strange thing...just like she can see no possible reason why you would use a soother...yes she is old school....not that there is anything wrong with that, but this little situation was making me sweat!!

You see about 6 weeks ago, we had a family occasion with Mr T's family....and Granny K wanted to hold little miss D which was fine, however she was wearing a silk jacket....so you do the math a pink silk jacket, a 93 year old woman that can't see very well, can't hear very well and well lets face it is weak....and a slithering 3 month old........well we ended up with a fussy baby that didn't want to be in her lap....I came over to rescue someone in this situation and Granny K took one look at me and said...."you get away"!!! Now I know what you are thinking "how awful, rude"....but go easy on Granny K, this is just the way she is....I was not offended however didn't really want to be told that again...so I looked at my sister in-law and said you stay close I will go....lol....save the peace for today.......so in remembering this little outburst, I said to T before we arrived at his Mom yesterday...."you are on Granny K and Little Miss D duty"....you have to watch...cause K will want her and she is even more squirmy than last time......and she is making strange...this is not going to be good!!

Call it mothers intuition, call it physic powers call it whatever you wish, but I was correct...this was not going well at all.....Mr T was right there....trying to console, I'm not sure who...D or K....one was scared and one was sad........and then it happened the Daddy claws came out......now keep in mind K is feisty...she doesn't mince words...and she was upset that her little great granddaughter didn't want to have anything to do with her.......well she looked at T and said "she is mean....she is a meany...." WHAT...this was funny to me actually, I was prepared for these comments seeing my last encounter with K....but T, well he obviously was not seeing the humour in any of it......all of a sudden I heard him say.......she is not mean you are mean....she is a baby....she is tired...and he scooped her up looking perplexed as to what to do next.....off Little Miss D and Mr T went!!

Luckily for Granny K, and for Mr T I don't even think she heard the tone of Terry's voice....didn't realize he was most likely a little peeved....I have to say watching from the sidelines was quite hilarious.....

Even though I could see some humour in it all, doesn't change the fact that this making strange stage is scary for everyone involved....
m

1 comment:

natalie said...

I had a really bad day and I'm so thankful that I came to read this post. I giggled right to the end! Whew! Thanks :)