Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's a Marshmallow World.....

About 6 years ago I was watching a Barefoot Contessa episode and Ina was making her homemade marshmallows..I was intrigued and had to try it for myself! Well it is now something I make every year...they are so good. I thought I would share the recipe with all of you. I sometimes use coconut like this recipe calls for or I just use icing sugar...to coat the batter in. This year I think I might do a mixture of cocoa powder and icing sugar...
Try whatever you like....you will never buy Marshmallows again...


Ingredients
7 ounces sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
1 recipe Homemade Marshmallow batter, recipe follows
Confectioners' sugar
Directions
Sprinkle half the toasted coconut in an 8 by 12-inch nonmetal pan. Pour in the marshmallow batter and smooth the top of the mixture with damp hands. Sprinkle on the remaining toasted coconut. Allow to dry uncovered at room temperature overnight.
Remove the marshmallows from the pan and cut into squares. Roll the sides of each piece carefully in confectioners' sugar. Store uncovered at room temperature.

Homemade Marshmallows
3 packages unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.
Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.
With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.
ENJOY
m

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the photograph...I think your next project should be a cook book of your favourite recipes! Love, Mom