Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

my hood....

So I have been thinking about our neighbourhood....our condo complex....we live in a town house style condo...I like it, it's a pretty good place to live! Terry has lived here now for about 6 years, I moved in after we got married a few years ago. I think he made a great choice really, considering that I commute to work and if you are going to live in this city you really can't get much closer than where we are, for me to catch the highway.... north pole bound....:)

Now I had lived in a small town for most of my life, the town that I still work in now. I did live and work in the city in my college days, but that was just apartment living and honestly I think I still spent more time in Exciter than I did in the city!!! Yes I can admit it, I was a homebody....nothing like good old Exciter to come home too.....:)

So since I have moved I have noticed some major differences between small town and city living. Of course there are the obvious ones...shopping...24 hour shopping...Sunday shopping...hmmm I think that is it.... the one positive for me is obviously the shopping!!!!

One of the things I find very different is the way people interact with each other...and my question is...is this a "city thing" or a "neighbourhood thing"???

The thing that has been on my mind lately is about our little tight knit neighbourhood...or lack there of would be more accurate.......Now I would say there are probably 50 units in our complex...that means lots of people live in a very small area........and I can't even tell you one person's name.......ahhh that is sooo awful!!!
For some reason I have this crazy dream conjured up in my head that I am someday going to meet my "kindred spirit" in my backyard...we are going to be such good friends...we will meet out on the deck one sunny Sat. afternoon, I will invite them over for a drink discover that we have the same tastes, the same amount of kids, who are the exact same age(I know, I know we don't have any kids but this is a dream remember) the same interests and hobbies and...we even know some of the same people..........ahh it is just great, we then introduce our husbands and they become fast friends...we start doing couple dinners and girl shopping dates...lalalala life is wonderful........yes I do agree, I have been watching too much TV...this is sadly sounding like a cross between Desperate Housewives and Home Improvements....I swear I haven't been spying over top of a fence.....

But really....you should be able to at least have a nice little chat with your neighbours shouldn't you??? Take Sunday for example....the guy that lives right beside us, let me paint this picture for you..... we share WALLS with this guy...well he was pulling into his garage at exactly the same time as I was pulling into our driveway......so I thought oh good I will be able to say Hi( maybe see if he would be a potential "friend") lol.........NOPE, wrong too bad... that dude had his garage door down before he even turned off his ignition.....what the heck.....am I that bad.....and then I start obsessing with things like oh he must be ticked, I must have my music too loud or we were too noisy when we had people over.........but I don't think so, if anything his kids should stop parking the cars in the fire exit...ahh that is a whole other blog........and then the people on the other side of us.........well I think that is just one mixed up divorce situation........you know the kind... poor distraught Dad buys little condo for the in between time......when he and his wife are trying to decide it they are going to stay together or separate........how do I know this you ask, seeing that I haven't ever talked to this guy......

.....well here is the juice as far as I can see it..and believe me that isn't far.........guy moves in, right before Christmas...not much action...pretty quiet place actually...then all of sudden the week of Christmas there is all this noise coming from his side of the wall that we share.......(sad I know) it was pretty obvious it was kids.......and then Christmas morning we were coming home from my parents place and we saw it....... a lady...who seemed pretty chummy with the kids, I thought she was just picking them up but the more I investigated or more accurately nosed around I saw that she had indeed stayed the night and wasn't going anywhere fast ..... from that day on I have noticed that exact same vehicle in his driveway about 2 or 3 times a week! This type of situation has happened before...these men come in single and then leave......and I don't even know how the story turns out because I never ever get to talk to them.............come on people I need an ending here...I need to know.......did you get back together...was that your mistress...did you just get a new car..........where did you move.............please tell me???? I am a small town girl, I need to know.....lol

So here I sit trying to figure out if this is normal for city living....this just not talking to each other...more like totally ignoring the fact that anyone else exists.....or it this because we live in a condo subdivision...everyone is apparently transient... they always move around...so why make the effort if they won't be here that long.........well HELLO....we are still here and I want a new friend!!!!
I'm not sure why I have been thinking about this so much lately....I am always trying to figure out ways for me to meet new people in my "new city".......and when you don't have children and you don't work where you live this is not an easy task...believe me.......so every time a new "for sale" sign shows up in our complex I still get this giddy feeling inside and say to "T", oh maybe this one will want to be my friend!!! lol

Well, I will just have to keep on trying........:)
happy tues everyone....
m :)
ps....I have decided to start a new blog for my picture of the day challenge...so if you are interested in my pics I will post the address tomorrow!

4 comments:

Maki said...

I live in the same style (townhome style) condo as well. We bought it when the market was HOT and as soon as we closed it, it tunked! :(

When we're renting it, our neighbors were all friendly and nice and we're like family. Then, it converted to condo, so bunch of new people moved in - now we don't know anyone. I used to see people chatting up, but I barely see it. It's really sad....

And yes, to your new address - post it please!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you find some nice neighbors soon! Popped in from SITS!

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

Neighbors can be a pain in the butt too so be careful what you wish for LOL

Brooke said...

i don't live in the city really, but moved from a family farm to a subdivision (1/2 acre lots are the biggest, most are 1/3 acres) and all i know is that the ladies that live next door mow a section of our yard (presumably to get the grass away from their fence) and the guy directly in front of them is from WV. no names...no buddies. i agree with you, that kinda sucks.